When Skittles wanted to help users experience the rainbow on Facebook they used an ad campaign that gained attention with many of their devoted fans.
They are not alone in their desire to access Facebook’s huge network of users.
Being able to have access to 1.4 Billion people around the world is one of the reasons why Facebook is now one of the most popular places in the world for marketers.
Therefore, it is not a surprise that Facebook now has over 2 million advertisers paying over a $1 Billion per month in ads.
However, if you intend to get the most out of Facebook marketing, then you need to follow Facebook ads best practices.
Top 5 Facebook Ads Best Practices
- News Feed– In a recent study, it was discovered that only 3% of Facebook posts in the newsfeed are promoted content. Approximately 24-29% come from Facebook pages. The rest of the posts are for friends and family.
That is remarkable, because of how few ads are seen by users. It brings in a lot of competition and also reinforces the quality of Facebook ads.
The news feed is one of the best ways to create native ads that fit in with the rest of the content users see in their newsfeed. That way instead of disrupting users’ experiences, it fits into the flow of the Facebook newsfeed.
- Encourage users to share ads– Social networks are designed for users to share content with their network. That is why, according to Shareholic, the top 8 social networks bring in 31.24% of all site traffic. Facebook accounts for 24.63% of this amount.
Even more interesting is the fact that newsfeed ads have a 44x higher click-through-rate (CTR) than sidebar ads along with having a conversion rate 5x higher than sidebar ads and a cost-per-conversion 67% lower than current ads.
Facebook is by far the largest social networking referral source. Plus, besides for Google it is still the second most popular referral source on the internet.
- Mobile ads– Mobile news ad recently out performed desktop ads by 187%. The costs-per-clicks were 22% lower on mobile campaigns.
Because of results like these, 62% of advertisers now market their business to users on mobile devices.
This trend will continue to grow as the number of mobile users grow. Therefore, it is very important to have a mobile and desktop advertising strategy. While it is the same network, advertising on different devices changes your strategy.
- All in the visuals- Did you know that 90% of the information we digest in our mind is visual data? Think of that when you are creating content for Facebook.
Use images and videos that capture your audiences’ imagination. That way, they can see your information and understand it.
- Have a clear call-to-action (CTA)- Next, make sure that you have a clear call-to-action to your website or final destination. Otherwise, the people who find your ad will not know what to do afterwards. Having an impactful ad is nothing if you do not follow it up with a CTA.
Use a simple CTA like “Buy now and save X%,” or “Click here to learn more.” That way your target market is not confused at what you want them to do with your content on Facebook.
Additionally, do not forget to add a sense of urgency. If your prospect is not ready to act now on your CTA you might lose them forever.
- Test your ads- One of the best things you can do to improve the quality of your Facebook ads is to use split tests.
Keep in mind that you need a large enough ad budget to do so. Otherwise, you might not have enough information for your test.
Social Media Examiner mentions how you should have at least 100,000 people that you are targeting before you start testing. Then when you decide upon an ad, you have chosen the best one for your business.
Bonus: Relevance Scores- The final item is not something you specifically should do, but definitely monitor.
You need to know your relevance scores for your Facebook ads. Similar to the ranking that Google provides, Facebook now uses relevance scores to determine how relevant your ads are to your audience.
The higher the relevance score, the lower your cost per click on your ads. Therefore, it is very important to know your relevance scores, so you play less to reach out to your network.
For marketers on a budget, ensuring you have a higher relevance score can be very beneficial to ensuring you can do more with your ad budget.
Facebook ads are one of the best strategies for driving qualified traffic to your website.
However, you need to have quality ads in order for this to work. That is why understanding these best practices can dramatically help your business.
They provide a framework for you to optimize your ad strategy. If you need help with using these Facebook ads best practices, feel free to contact Shout.