Have you ever written a blog title that brought droves of readers to your article? It was so precise and on-point that it was simply irresistible to your target audience.
While occasionally you can just come up with a great title, usually this requires some strategic planning in advance.
That is why below we discuss how you can improve your chances of coming up with the best blog title for your next article.
7 Steps to writing a great blog title
- Brainstorm titles- The process starts by thinking of different titles you can use. While you do not want to ignore the seo basics for a blog title, you also want to focus on creating an exciting title that attracts readers.
Therefore, you should spend a few minutes just coming up with ideas.
For example, for this post we thought about a few different posts like the examples below before we settled on the 7 Steps to a Click Inducing Blog Title.
Discover the seo basics to creating the best blog title
How to write the best blog title for your content
Do you write click inducing blog titles? Want to start?
Once you have a few ideas you can expand this search by using different keyword research tools. For example, you can do a search for specific keywords based on topics that Google suggests in a search.
If you want to search for restaurants in Melbourne below you type in restaurants and see relevant restaurant keywords like restaurants Melbourne or restaurants near me.
Using Google suggest tool can help you include an seo title tag that increases your chance of driving in search traffic.
- Buyer Personas– Once you have an idea for your blog title, you now need to make sure that this will work for your target audience. The best way to understand your audience to create a buyer persona of your ideal customer.
Crafting the right buyer persona helps you create more relevant, engaging content that inspires your readers to click on the headline and engage with your content.
With a persona, you want to consider the ideal customer for your products. This means you need to segment your content based on their specific behaviors.
- Accuracy- Another benefit of having the right audience in mind is that you can be more specific with your headline. When you want to find restaurant owners instead of business owners, your content can become more factually accurate for your customers.
Improved accuracy also demonstrates how you respect your readers time and needs. That is because accurate titles increase trust to readers, so they feel more confident in reading the rest of your content as well as moving forward with additional steps in the buyer’s journey.
- Value proposition- Let readers know the exact value they receive from your content. Your customers are busy and have lives. They do not always have time to read your content for the fun of it. Instead, they need to know how they can benefit from the information you provide.
That way you can have a blog title like 5 Examples of Epic Content that provides the value proposition for the content you are about to read. There is no ambiguity about what will happen when you click on this link. You get five examples of how to get epic content in the article.
When readers know what they get when they click on the article. However, they need to know what is in it for them before they click. A good blog title gives them this information ahead of time.
- content length- Different blog titles garner different levels of shares on different social networks. For example, on Twitter between 8-12 words gets the most shares. On Facebook, between 12-14 shares receive the most likes.
The key is to find a mix that works for your audience (see buyer persona above), and then start matching that with the social networks where your audience hangs out to get the right length.
- Optimize SEO titles- The key to optimizing a good SEO title is to focus on just one keyword. Keyword stuffing is not just something that happens in the article, you should avoid it in the headline as well. Focusing on one keyword helps Google know where to show your article on search results.
Furthermore, when you keep your title below 70 characters it can improve your search relevance. That is because the title keyword is one of the best places to improve your search rankings.
Google takes this as a big on-site ranking factor. That is why you need to do your research ahead of time to make sure that your headline drives search traffic.
- Powerful Language– Use call-to-action words that inspire readers to click on the article. Words like Try or Click transform your headline. It gives direction to your content, so customers know what they need to do next.
As you can see from the chart below, using negative words like Never or Worst can increase your click through rate on headlines by 50%.
That is because the right words can improve the value of your headlines.
Writing the perfect blog title is a fallacy. Nothing will ever work perfectly for every reader. However, the right title with the right seo title tags and convincing value proposition encourage readers to click for more information.
Use the steps above, you can create the right blog title for your next content piece.
Then if you need some help with improving your blog title, contact our team at Shout for a free consultation.