SEO is always changing. Therefore, for businesses to understand the best methods to improve their search results this year, they need to understand the SEO trends for 2017.
SEO Trends for 2017
- User Intent: Search engines are better than ever at understanding consumers’ intent with their searches. The ability to put context to user queries extends from local to voice to other types of search.
The Schema mark-up of web pages makes it possible to understand your website properly. This means that when you use Schema on your website, Google can read your website and include it in results for the relevant user intent.
- Mobile First Searches- Google realises that over 50% of all searches come from mobile devices. That is because the use of smartphones and other mobile devices has increased exponentially over the past few years.
One of the biggest changes in the past year that will continue to affect mobile searches in 2017 is the mobile-first indexing of websites. This means that Google indexes the mobile site first, because it often has less content than the desktop version of the website.
As a result, in 2017, you will see an increase in content for mobile sites.
Another change was the implementation of Accelerated Mobile Pages. These new pages are cached versions of the traditional website for visitors to view on mobile devices.
Currently, over 700,000 domains and over 600 million published pages have used AMP. This number will continue to grow as more and more websites see the benefits of applying the mobile project to their mobile websites.
- Voice Search: This is the next big step in search engines. It is why Amazon created Alexa, iPhone has Siri, and Android uses Google Now to improve the value of search.
Using searches based on voice recognition provides new and useful ways for searches within context. By using longer and more engaging voice searches, it provides more personalised results to users.
If you are not sure about how to improve your voice search marketing strategies, then feel free to contact us for more information.
- User Experience: Speed matters with search engines. It has for a few years now, but with new server speeds, lighter HTML and CSS, and AMP usage, sites can load much faster than before.
That is why Google has put a greater emphasis on this aspect of search engine optimisation over the past few years. It is because user experiences affect a wide range of search factors, such as time on site and number of pages visited.
Google has seen that the better a website presents itself to its users, the more likely they will stay on the site due to the relevant content. This trend will continue in 2017 as sites load faster and deliver a wider range of video and audio content.
- Cross-channel marketing: This is not just an SEO trend for 2017, but one that must be continued if businesses wish to get more out of their optimization efforts. Just fixing the technical or content angles of your website is no longer enough to get search traffic.
To get significant search traffic, cross-channel marketing is needed. That means using social media to gain valuable connections who share your content, including videos that can be played on YouTube and other video sharing sites.
Also, building your search traffic with email marketing can be beneficial. Email marketing brings more interested visitors to a website. That leads to more comments, more shares, and more time spent on the site.
These bring a lot of intrinsic benefits that Google looks for when ranking websites. They know that their results do not exist in a cloud. Determining the best results on search engines, requires utilising a wide array of resources.
While it is still early to do too many SEO predictions for this year, the SEO trends for 2017 will continue to build upon the developments of the past few years.
With a continuation of mobile marketing and contextual understanding of searches, this year will see even more steps away from the traditional search engine strategies to user experience-based search engine optimisation.
If you still have questions about how to keep up with the SEO trends for 2017, we would be more than happy to talk with you about the best approach your business can take in 2017.